It’s tempting to lop off the fuzzy patch on a good baguette, but the mold could have spread already. Think of mold like a jelly fish, it starts at the top and extends into food. Most is not visible to the naked eye. Will it kill you? Probably not. It could upset your stomach and the food probably won’t taste as good as it should. But in some people it can cause allergic reactions and respiratory problems. It’s not worth the risk. While you should generally toss anything gone moldy straight in the garbage, these four foods are exceptions to the rule if handled correctly.
4 Foods That Are Safe to Eat When Moldy
1. Hard salami and dry-cured country hams
The USDA says: It is normal for these shelf-stable products to have surface mold. Use. Scrub mold off surface.
2. Hard cheese
The USDA says: Use. Cut off at least 1 inch around and below the mold spot. Mold generally cannot penetrate deep into the product.
3. Cheese made with mold
The USDA says: Discard soft cheeses such as Brie and Camembert if they contain molds that are not a part of the manufacturing process. Molds that are not a part of the manufacturing process can be dangerous. (Can’t tell? Discard.)
4. Firm fruits and vegetables
(such as cabbage, bell peppers, carrots, etc.)
The USDA says: Use. Cut off at least 1 inch around and below the mold spot. Small mold spots can be cut off FIRM fruits and vegetables with low moisture content. It’s difficult for mold to penetrate dense foods.