Restaurants are trying to reduce the sodium content of their food. In addition to the health benefits, this can result in better tasting food as chefs experiment with exotic herbs and untraditional preparation methods. Here a few ways you can use chefs’ tricks to incorporate more flavor, and less salt, in your cooking.
1. Use fresh tomatoes instead of canned: Save 210 milligrams of sodium per ½ cup
2. Use garlic to add flavor: Substitute 1 teaspoon of garlic for ½ teaspoon of salt to save 580 milligrams of sodium.
3. Swap unsalted butter for salted butter: Save 125 milligrams per tablespoon. Or try flavored oil.
4. Fresh turkey versus traditional deli turkey: Save 1,190 milligrams of sodium per 4 ounces.
5. Skip the pickle: Save 930 milligrams of sodium. Munch on some sliced cucumber with a squeeze of lemon instead.
6. Cook with wine and vinegar instead of soy sauce and barbeque sauce: Save 200-800 milligrams of sodium.
7. Try any of these high-flavor, low-sodium ingredients: fresh garlic, garlic powder, granulated garlic, fresh onions, onion powder, black pepper, ginger, celery seed, cumin, turmeric, saffron, cayenne pepper, paprika, mustard powder, chili powder, fresh rosemary, dried rosemary, fresh dill, dried dill, fresh basil, salt-free seasonings, dried basil, fresh oregano, dried oregano, mint, curry, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and coriander seed.
Source: Nation’s Restaurant News
Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of a car with the cramped public exposure of an airplane.
I think my pilot was a little inexperienced. We were sitting on the runway, and he said, “OK, folks, we’re gonna be taking off in a just few—whoa! Here we go.”
“I can’t wait until your vacation is over.” —Everyone following you on Instagram
A man knocked on my door and asked for a donation toward the local swimming pool. So I gave him a glass of water.
Comedian Greg Davies
Just found the worst page in the entire dictionary. What I saw was disgraceful, disgusting, dishonest, and disingenuous.
Client: We need you to log in to the YouTube and make all our company videos viral.
My cat just walked up to the paper shredder and said, “Teach me everything you know.”
“Just because you can’t dance doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dance.” —Alcohol
@yoyoha (Josh Hara)
My parents didn’t want to move to Florida, but they turned 60 and that’s the law.
Q: What do you call an Amish guy with his hand in a horse’s mouth?
A: A mechanic.