The new USDA Dietary Guidelines for Americans were released January 31, 2011. Updated every five years, the main message of the new guidelines is to get off the SOFAS. In other words, kick the Solid Fats and Added Sugars. What are the worst food offenders?
- Grain-based desserts (cookies, cakes, and other pastries) and dairy desserts (ice cream) are top losers in all three categories: solid fats, saturated fat, and added sugars.
- Sodas and sugar-sweetened drinks top the added sugars list.
- Cheese and pizza are giving us our daily dose of saturated fats.
How to Develop Healthy Eating Patterns
More than just telling us what not to eat, the new guidelines make recommendations on the kinds of foods we should eat. So what makes a healthy diet? It should include the following:
1. Abundant in vegetables and fruits.
2. Emphasizes whole grain
3. Moderate in protein (seafood, beans and peas, nuts, seeds, soy products, meat, poultry, and eggs).
4. Limited in added sugars and may include more oils than solid fats.
5. Low in full-fat milk and milk products.
6. Has a high unsaturated to saturated fatty acid ratio and a high dietary fiber and potassium content.
7. Low in sodium compared to current American intake.
Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of a car with the cramped public exposure of an airplane.
I think my pilot was a little inexperienced. We were sitting on the runway, and he said, “OK, folks, we’re gonna be taking off in a just few—whoa! Here we go.”
“I can’t wait until your vacation is over.” —Everyone following you on Instagram
A man knocked on my door and asked for a donation toward the local swimming pool. So I gave him a glass of water.
Comedian Greg Davies
Just found the worst page in the entire dictionary. What I saw was disgraceful, disgusting, dishonest, and disingenuous.
Client: We need you to log in to the YouTube and make all our company videos viral.
My cat just walked up to the paper shredder and said, “Teach me everything you know.”
“Just because you can’t dance doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dance.” —Alcohol
@yoyoha (Josh Hara)
My parents didn’t want to move to Florida, but they turned 60 and that’s the law.
Q: What do you call an Amish guy with his hand in a horse’s mouth?
A: A mechanic.