Sports medicine doctors offer these tips to help reduce the number of youth sports injuries:
1. Warm-up and cool down properly. Warm-up exercises, such as stretching and light jogging, can help minimize the chance of muscle strain or other soft tissue injury and make the body’s tissues warmer and more flexible. Cooling down exercises loosen the body’s muscles that have tightened during exercise. Make warm-ups and cool downs part of your kids’ routine before and after sports participation.
2. Know and abide by the rules of the sport. Kids should also be instructed in how to use the sport’s athletic equipment properly.
3. Avoid playing when very tired or in pain. Children should take a break immediately if in pain.
4. Be in proper physical condition to play the sport. Before starting a sport, have your child work out to prepare.
5. Keep kids hydrated. Make sure there is adequate water or other liquids to maintain proper hydration. Kids need to drink 8 ounces of fluid every 20 minutes, plus more after playing.
6. Wear appropriate protective gear, such as shin guards for soccer, a hard-shell helmet when facing a baseball or softball pitcher, a helmet and body padding for ice hockey. Make sure your child uses the proper protective gear for a particular sport. This may lessen the chances of being injured.
7. Make sure the coach is certified. Enroll your child in organized sports through schools, community clubs, and recreation areas where there may be adults who are certified coaches. Ask about the coach’s background and training.
8. Get a preseason physical examination. Kids should have a thorough exam from a physician before participating in sports, including a cardiovascular workup to make sure there are no pre-existing conditions.
9. Insist on a team emergency plan. What happens if a child is injured? Where’s the first-aid kit? Who drives to the hospital? Make sure any injured child sees a doctor right away. Here are more tips for an emergency action plan.
Get a list of common injuries, by sport, and more prevention tips.
Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of a car with the cramped public exposure of an airplane.
I think my pilot was a little inexperienced. We were sitting on the runway, and he said, “OK, folks, we’re gonna be taking off in a just few—whoa! Here we go.”
“I can’t wait until your vacation is over.” —Everyone following you on Instagram
A man knocked on my door and asked for a donation toward the local swimming pool. So I gave him a glass of water.
Comedian Greg Davies
Just found the worst page in the entire dictionary. What I saw was disgraceful, disgusting, dishonest, and disingenuous.
Client: We need you to log in to the YouTube and make all our company videos viral.
My cat just walked up to the paper shredder and said, “Teach me everything you know.”
“Just because you can’t dance doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dance.” —Alcohol
@yoyoha (Josh Hara)
My parents didn’t want to move to Florida, but they turned 60 and that’s the law.
Q: What do you call an Amish guy with his hand in a horse’s mouth?
A: A mechanic.