25 Ways to Stop Smoking Cigarettes
Not sure how to quit smoking cigarettes? Try one of these 25 ways to stop smoking and start your path towards a healthier, smoke-free life.
11. Switch your cigarette habit for a nut habit — four nuts in their shell for every cigarette you want to smoke. This way, you’re using your hands and your mouth, getting the same physical and oral sensations you get from smoking.
12. Carry some cinnamon-flavored toothpicks with you. Suck on one whenever a cig craving hits.
13. Make an appointment with an acupuncturist. There’s some evidence that auricular acupuncture (i.e., needles in the ears) curbs cigarette cravings quite successfully, says Ather Ali, N.D., a naturopathic physician completing a National Institutes of Health-sponsored postdoctoral research fellowship at the Yale-Griffin Prevention Research Center in Derby, Connecticut. You can even do it yourself by taping “seeds” (small beads) onto the acupuncture points and squeezing them whenever cravings arise.
14. Swing by the health food store for some Avena sativa (oat) extract. One study found that, taken at 1 milliliters four times daily, it helped habitual tobacco smokers significantly decrease the number of cigarettes they smoked.
15. Think of difficult things you have done in the past. Ask people who know you well to remind you of challenges you have successfully overcome, says Dr. Lieberman. This will give you the necessary self-confidence to stick with your pledge not to smoke.
Next: More tips on how to stop smoking
Comments are closed.