When that sleepy feeling hits, must of us turn to one of two things to fix it: grab some caffeine or surrender to a nap. But what does an exhausted person do when she can’t grab a triple latte or 15-minute snooze? Here are some instant remedies to afternoon energy slumps.
1. Get outside. Find an area that’s free from cigarette smoke and pollutants and take a few deep breaths. Oxygen provides natural, safe energy. If you’re breathing deeply enough, you’ll send all of that good energy throughout your body, waking it up in no time.
2. Try a cold water splash. A little cold water is all it takes to head-off that sleepy feeling that makes it feel as though your whole face is asleep. Oddly, this remedy also helps subdue nervous energy. Give it a try the next time you need a no-cost pick-me-up.
3. Make the bed. If you happen to be home when your body starts its slow decline into slumber, it’s going to be way too tempting to pass up an unmade bed. Prevent the kind of nap that turns into a deep sleep with this preventative measure: Make your bed. Bonus: Shaking out the sheets gets your arms moving above your heart, boosting your heart rate and invigorating your body.
4. Grab a healthy drink. Try Drive, a Vitamin Water Zero blend of blood orange and berry that’s infused with yerba mate, a source of natural caffeine. The no-cost alternate is plain old cold water.
5. Have a smart snack. Think of smart as an alias for balanced. When deciding on snacks, avoid refined carbs and sugars – they mess up your body’s blood glucose levels and ultimately intensify fatigue. Greek yogurt topped with honey and a handful of almonds is an excellent example of a quick energizing snack. Honey is freshest during the summer and experts say that to get the greatest benefit from this natural energizer, choose raw honey labeled “100% Pure.”
Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of a car with the cramped public exposure of an airplane.
I think my pilot was a little inexperienced. We were sitting on the runway, and he said, “OK, folks, we’re gonna be taking off in a just few—whoa! Here we go.”
“I can’t wait until your vacation is over.” —Everyone following you on Instagram
A man knocked on my door and asked for a donation toward the local swimming pool. So I gave him a glass of water.
Comedian Greg Davies
Just found the worst page in the entire dictionary. What I saw was disgraceful, disgusting, dishonest, and disingenuous.
Client: We need you to log in to the YouTube and make all our company videos viral.
My cat just walked up to the paper shredder and said, “Teach me everything you know.”
“Just because you can’t dance doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dance.” —Alcohol
@yoyoha (Josh Hara)
My parents didn’t want to move to Florida, but they turned 60 and that’s the law.
Q: What do you call an Amish guy with his hand in a horse’s mouth?
A: A mechanic.