1. Ban pets from the bedroom, and get a HEPA air purifier.
2. No pet is completely hypoallergenic, but those that shed more trigger more symptoms, says Shirlee Kalstone, author of Allergic to Pets?
3. Vacuum and dust often to eliminate sneeze-inducing dander and fur.
4. Bathe and brush your pet often, especially if he sheds. If your symptoms are severe, have someone else do it for you.
5. Getting a new cat? Consider a light-colored female. One study found that dark male cats create more allergic reactions.