Forget your former throw-whatever-looks-good-into-the-cart approach and bring this list next time you head to the supermarket. Stocking your pantry with these heart healthy choices will set you up for cholesterol-success.
For the cupboard
- Canned beans, such as black, white, pinto, garbanzo, and kidney.*
- Dried fruits, such as figs, raisins, prunes, apricots, and dates.
- Whole wheat flour for baking.
- Apple sauce for baking.*
- A good bottle of virgin or extra virgin olive oil.
- Canola oil.
- Canned salmon and water-packed tuna.*
- Canned clams.*
- Canned sardines.*
- Canned fruit packed in its own juices or in light syrup.*
- Quick-cooking or old-fashioned oatmeal, but not the instant kind.
- Whole grain mix for pancakes and waffles.
- Cans of chopped tomatoes flavored with herbs, onions, or garlic for tossing with pasta.*
- Peanut butter (the natural kind, made without hydrogenated oil or added sugar).*
- Jarred artichoke hearts, sun dried tomatoes, and flavorful spreads, all of which can add pizzazz to pasta, rice, couscous, or other grains.*
*Refrigerate after opening
For the fridge
- Low-fat mayonnaise.
- Hard, flavorful cheeses like Romano or Parmesan.
- A sterol-based spread such as Benecol or Take Control, or a margarine free of trans fats (such as Smart Balance).
For the freezer
- Frozen veggie or soy burgers.
- Frozen turkey meatballs.
- Frozen vegetables in bags.
- Frozen berries.
- Fillets of frozen fish, not breaded (slip unthawed pieces into simmering poaching liquid for a fast meal).
Just found the worst page in the entire dictionary. What I saw was disgraceful, disgusting, dishonest, and disingenuous.
Client: We need you to log in to the YouTube and make all our company videos viral.
My cat just walked up to the paper shredder and said, “Teach me everything you know.”
“Just because you can’t dance doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dance.” —Alcohol
@yoyoha (Josh Hara)
My parents didn’t want to move to Florida, but they turned 60 and that’s the law.
Q: What do you call an Amish guy with his hand in a horse’s mouth?
A: A mechanic.