How do you care for your plants while you’re away from home? One common solution is to pay someone to water your indoor and outdoor container plants. But you can greatly reduce the need for watering by taking a few steps before you leave home.
1. Always use a potting mix with moisture-retaining polymers (or add polymers to the mix). These compounds retain water for later use by thirsty plants.
2. When you’re headed off on vacation or a work trip, move your plants out of direct sunlight–behind windows with sheer curtains is a great spot.
3. Turn down the thermostat in winter to keep the interior of he house cool.
4. Move pots and containers close together, so the plants will provide each other with shade and humidity.
5. Place sensitive plants inside tents made from white plastic trash bags–place a bag upside down over each plant, using stakes as “tent poles” to keep the plastic off the foliage. Cut a few small holes in the plastic to allow oxygen to reach the plant.
6. To conserve water in outdoor containers, move them to a location sheltered from the wind and cluster them together.
7. You can also bury potted plants to their rims temporarily and mulch around them.
The neighborhood kid who was counting on making a little extra money won’t be happy with these water-saving techniques, but, on the other hand, your lawn will probably still need mowing when you get back.
Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of a car with the cramped public exposure of an airplane.
I think my pilot was a little inexperienced. We were sitting on the runway, and he said, “OK, folks, we’re gonna be taking off in a just few—whoa! Here we go.”
“I can’t wait until your vacation is over.” —Everyone following you on Instagram
A man knocked on my door and asked for a donation toward the local swimming pool. So I gave him a glass of water.
Comedian Greg Davies
Just found the worst page in the entire dictionary. What I saw was disgraceful, disgusting, dishonest, and disingenuous.
Client: We need you to log in to the YouTube and make all our company videos viral.
My cat just walked up to the paper shredder and said, “Teach me everything you know.”
“Just because you can’t dance doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dance.” —Alcohol
@yoyoha (Josh Hara)
My parents didn’t want to move to Florida, but they turned 60 and that’s the law.
Q: What do you call an Amish guy with his hand in a horse’s mouth?
A: A mechanic.