Most lawn grasses are known either as cool-season (for the northern and mountain regions of the U.S., Zones 3 through 6) or warm-season (for the southern half to third, Zones 7 through 10). Talk to your Cooperative Extension Service or local nursery and garden center about the best grass or combination of grasses for your lawn.
Kentucky bluegrass, with its blue-green hue, is the most popular cool-season grass. It grows best in areas with mild summers and ample rainfall. Other cool-season grasses include:
- Perennial rye Most often mixed with Kentucky bluegrass. Deep green and glossy, it sprouts quickly and grows in clumps.
- Fescues Red fescue starts as a fine-textured bunch grass that develops into a solid mat. It performs well in dry soils and in sun and shade. Hard fescue is slower-growing but requires little maintenance. Both fescues are best used in mixtures with other grasses such as Kentucky bluegrass. A fine fescue such as ‘Highlight Chewings’ is medium green and fine-bladed. Moderately disease-resistant, it tolerates low mowing, which is fatal to most fescues.
Areas with warm or hot summer nights require grasses that are drought- and heat-tolerant.
- Bermuda This popular type is a strong creeping and spreading grass, but it sometimes tends to develop thatchy spots. It is durable and pest-resistant, but it is meant only for sunny locations. In shade, Bermuda grass becomes thin and leggy.
- Zoysia This grass is slow to become established. It requires 3 to 4 years in most areas, and weeds can take over before it makes a lawn. Deep-rooted and drought-tolerant, it becomes dormant during cold weather and tends to stay brown longer than other grasses.
- St. Augustine This grass has a very coarse texture and is heat-tolerant. It spreads rapidly and can creep into nearby lawns and flower beds.
- Turf-type tall fescues These are slow to establish themselves but are especially tolerant of wear and drought.
Just found the worst page in the entire dictionary. What I saw was disgraceful, disgusting, dishonest, and disingenuous.
Client: We need you to log in to the YouTube and make all our company videos viral.
My cat just walked up to the paper shredder and said, “Teach me everything you know.”
“Just because you can’t dance doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dance.” —Alcohol
@yoyoha (Josh Hara)
My parents didn’t want to move to Florida, but they turned 60 and that’s the law.
Q: What do you call an Amish guy with his hand in a horse’s mouth?
A: A mechanic.