If you feed birds in a protected area, and offer fresh water and a safe place to nest, birds will linger in your yard all year round.
- Don’t feed bread crumbs. They are low in fat and are actually harmful for birds in winter, when they should consume high-energy foods, such as suet, fruits, nuts, and oily seeds.
- Start feeding in the fall. Most overwintering birds establish their food supply in the fall. So keep the feeder filled, even while on vacation.
Clipart.comBirds beautify your property and keep it teeming with life.
- Experiment with birdseed, such
as hulled sunflower seeds, thistle, safflower seed, black oil sunflower seed, and white millet, to see what birds you attract. Keep a platform feeder (a wood tray on a post) well supplied.
- Make water available. A birdbath is a sure way to attract birds. Make yours more appealing by setting a few stones in the water so they protrude half an inch or so. If winters are very cold in your area, you can buy a birdbath heater to keep the water from freezing and to provide a constant water source.
- Put up birdhouses. Buy a birdhouse specifically designed for the birds you want to attract (a store-bought birdhouse should include this information). Then place at the correct height: 6 to 15 feet for chickadees, for example, or 20 feet or more for woodpeckers. Clean out the birdhouse in late winter each year to attract more birds.
- Add landscape plants that attract birds. Birds like a variety of plants, but berry-producing species are especially appealing. So are seed-producing plants, such as sunflower and purple coneflower, as long as you permit the fading flowers to go to seed.
Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of a car with the cramped public exposure of an airplane.
I think my pilot was a little inexperienced. We were sitting on the runway, and he said, “OK, folks, we’re gonna be taking off in a just few—whoa! Here we go.”
“I can’t wait until your vacation is over.” —Everyone following you on Instagram
A man knocked on my door and asked for a donation toward the local swimming pool. So I gave him a glass of water.
Comedian Greg Davies
Just found the worst page in the entire dictionary. What I saw was disgraceful, disgusting, dishonest, and disingenuous.
Client: We need you to log in to the YouTube and make all our company videos viral.
My cat just walked up to the paper shredder and said, “Teach me everything you know.”
“Just because you can’t dance doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dance.” —Alcohol
@yoyoha (Josh Hara)
My parents didn’t want to move to Florida, but they turned 60 and that’s the law.
Q: What do you call an Amish guy with his hand in a horse’s mouth?
A: A mechanic.