• A firm of tree surgeons will be needed to cut up and remove the tree.
• If you are unable to live in the house immediately, ensure it is not a looting target. Secure doors and windows and put valuables in temporary storage.
• Storm damage to homes by trees (and the cost of removing the tree if it has fallen on the house) is covered by most building insurance polices.
• If your tree falls on your neighbour’s property, they will need to make a claim on their building’s insurance policy.
• Although unlikely to cause a sudden emergency, tree roots can extend under a property, causing damage to the foundation. The first signs of this might be cracks in the plaster inside the house or cracks in the brickwork on the outside.