The World’s Best Joke Contest Rules
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND NECESSARY TO ENTER. PURCHASING WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING
Description of the Contest This Contest will determine the winner for the United States in a Best Joke Contest, which is being conducted in 32 separate (local) contests worldwide. The winner will receive a prize as detailed in these Official Rules and will also be entered in the International Contest against the Winners of the other Contests which are being conducted in the following countries. Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Netherlands, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Korea, Mexico, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, United Kingdom, and the United States.
1. Eligibility: This Contest is sponsored by The Reader’s Digest Association, Inc. (Reader’s Digest). Contest is open to residents of the U.S. its territories and possessions, including Puerto Rico who are 18 years of age or older at the time of entry. Employees of Reader’s Digest, or its affiliated or subsidiary companies, and their immediate family members, are not eligible to enter the Contest or to participate in the voting process. Contest is governed by the laws of the USA. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Void where prohibited by law.
2. To Enter: Entry begins at 12:00 a.m. on 12/10/08, and ends at 11:59 p.m. on 2/15/09, to enter visit www.readersdigest.com/worldsbestjoke and follow the instructions. User voting will take place between 12:00 a.m. 5/07/09 and 11:59 p.m. on 6/15/09 (the “Voting Period.”). Contest closes on 6/15/09. In the event of technical difficulties, contest submission and voting dates are subject to change without notice.
Tell us your funniest joke. The entry must not be lewd, obscene, sexually explicit, pornographic, disparaging, defamatory, libelous or otherwise inappropriate or objectionable, as determined by the Judges and/or Sponsor in their sole and absolute discretion. The entry must not infringe the copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity or other intellectual property rights of any person or entity. Entries submitted in geographic areas in which the entry is not permissible will be disqualified. All entries become the property of Reader’s Digest. We reserve the right to use your entry in all print and electronic media, and to edit it for brevity and clarity.
4. Judging: Reader’s Digest will select ten (10) jokes to post on the RD.com website (the “Finalists”). Finalists will be selected by Reader’s Digest Magazine Editors based on the following criteria: Humor 50%, Uniqueness 20%, Writing style 15% and Universality of appeal 15%. All entries will be judged using the criteria stated above. Judges decisions are final. Members of the public will then be invited to review and vote for their favorite Finalists during the Voting Period. The Finalist submission to receive the most votes during the Voting Period will be the US Local Winner.
5. Prize(s): The 10 U.S. finalists will each receive $500. The U.S. local winner will receive an additional $1,000 andwill also be automatically entered to compete in the separate, International Best Joke in the World Contest. Rules for that contest are available at “Best Joke in the World Contest” Rules. All taxes, if any, as a result of winning this contest are the U.S.Local Winner’s responsibility. Reader’s Digest will not be responsible for any loss, liability or damage arising out of the US Local Winner’s acceptance or use of the prize. All prizes are guaranteed to be awarded. The US Local Winner will be required to execute an affidavit of eligibility, and media use release within two (2) weeks from the date of the notification letter or an alternate finalist may be selected.
6. Conditions: Reader’s Digest is not liable for, late, lost, delayed, damaged, misdirected, incomplete, garbled or jumbled entries. Sponsor is not liable for any technical malfunctions of any telephone network or lines, computer internet system, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any email on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the internet or at any website, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading/uploading any materials in this Contest, or other technical difficulties or failures or other errors of any kind. Sponsor is not responsible or liable for any injury or damage to an entrant’s or third person’s computer and/or its contents, related to or resulting from Contest. Sponsor reserves the right to terminate or modify the Contest at any time for any reason. In such a circumstance, finalists and Grand Prize winner will be selected based on entries received to date of termination. In the event that two similar entries are received, only the entry judged to best meet criteria as set by Reader’s Digest will be included in the final judging. Entrants agree to indemnify Reader’s Digest, their affiliated and subsidiary companies from and against any and all claims and liabilities arising out of or in connection with this Contest. Any dispute regarding submission of online entry will be deemed submitted by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at the time of entry. “Authorized account holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an email address by an internet access provider, online service provider, or other organizations (e.g. business, educational institute) that is responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any person tampering with the operation of the website or the entry process and/or any entry that it determines, in its sole discretion does not meet the requirements of the official Rules
All prizes will be awarded.
US Local Winner will be notified by email and regular mail within six weeks of the closing date. All Finalists will be required to agree to the use of their name and likeness and entry for promotional purposes (except where prohibited by law).
7. WARRANTY AND INDEMNITY: Each Entrant agrees not to submit any Entry that (1) infringes any 3rd party proprietary, intellectual property, industrial property, personal rights or other rights, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret or confidentiality obligation; (2) includes any personally identifiable information or (3) otherwise violates applicable law in any countries in the world. To the maximum extent permitted by law, each Entrant indemnifies and agrees to keep indemnified the Sponsor at all times from and against any liability, claims, demands, losses, damages, costs and expenses resulting from any act, default or omission of the Entrant and/or a breach of any warranty set forth herein. To the maximum extent permitted by law, each Entrant indemnifies and agrees to keep indemnified the Sponsor and [Company] at all times from and against any liability, actions, claims, demands, losses, damages, costs and expenses for or in respect of which the Sponsor or [Company] will or may become liable by reason of or related or incidental to any act, default or omission by an Entrant under these Official Rules including without limitation resulting from or in relation to any breach, non-observance, act or omission whether negligent or otherwise, pursuant to these official rules by an Entrant.
8. SEVERABILITY: If any provision(s) of these Official Rules are held to be invalid or unenforceable, all remaining provisions hereof will remain in full force and effect.
9. The total number of contestants anticipated nationwide is 10,000.
10. Sponsor: The sponsor of this Contest is the Reader’s Digest Association, Inc., One Reader’s Digest Road, Pleasantville, NY 10570.
11. Consumer Information: If you wish to receive a list of prize winners, or have any questions about the Contest, specify your request and send a self addressed stamped envelope to: –Best Joke in the World, P.O. Box 235, Pleasantville, NY 10570.
More Funny Stuff