1. Eligibility: This contest is open to legal U.S. residents 18 years of age or older at time of entry. Employees and immediate family members of the sponsor, Reader’s Digest or its affiliated or subsidiary companies, are not eligible to participate. Contest is governed by laws of the USA. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Void where prohibited by law.
2. How to Enter: Contest begins at 12:00 a.m. on February 11, 2014, and ends on March 31, 2014. All entries must be received by noon ET on March 31, 2014. To enter, visit rd.com/photocontest and follow the instructions. All Entries must include your full name, address, city, state, zip, telephone number, email address and a photograph showcasing a person, place, or thing that’s Made in America and caption of 100 words or less describing why you chose this photograph to represent the theme. Photographs must be submitted electronically: Electronic photos should be 50–75KB recommended, 1000KB maximum, JPEG format only; if accepted for publication, an image file size of at least 6MB will be required. Name each file with your full name. Digital photos must meet these resolution requirements, necessary for publication. Instructions regarding how to upload the photo will be provided at rd.com/photocontest. Photos that are not viewable for any reason will be rejected. Captions may not exceed 100 words. Follow the instructions at rd.com/photocontest for how to upload the caption. All information provided by entrant must be complete, true and correct. Entries submitted in geographic areas in which the entry is not permissible will be disqualified. If entries do not contain all necessary information, entrant will be disqualified. Please be certain to follow all directions.
The Submission must be the original work of entrant and not previously published. Submission must not infringe the copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity or other intellectual property rights of any person or entity. By entering this contest you are granting to Reader’s Digest, its affiliates and their licensees the irrevocable, non-exclusive right to use the Submission in all print and electronic media, and to edit it for brevity and clarity.
3. Judging and Winner Selection: Contest closes at noon EST Monday, March 31, 2014. Winners will be selected on or about April 22, 2014. Photos must showcase something Made in America, and the caption should explain why you chose this photo to represent this theme The winners of the Contest will be determined by judging all the entrants’ submissions based on the following criteria: originality 25%, quality of photograph 25%, adherence to the contest theme 25%, and interesting, well-written caption 25%. All entries will be judged using the criteria stated above. If there is a tie, the entrant with the highest score in the adherence to theme category will be the winner. All judging will be accomplished by a panel of Reader’s Digest editors and photography experts. Decision of the judges is final and binding on all matters relating to this contest. In all, three winners (the top three scorers) will be selected. One First Prize Winner, one Second Prize Winner and one Third Prize Winner.
4. Prizes: One (1) First Prize Winner will receive $1000. One (1) Second Prize Winner will receive $500. One (1) Third Prize Winner will receive $250. All taxes, if any, are the Winners’ responsibility. Reader’s Digest will not be responsible for any loss, liability or damage arising out of the Winners’ acceptance or use of the prize. Prizes are not transferable, cannot be assigned, substituted or redeemed for cash. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a similar prize of equal or greater value in the event that the stated prize cannot be awarded due to circumstances beyond the control of the Sponsor. Prizes will be awarded by June 1, 2014. All prizes are guaranteed to be awarded.
5. Notification of Winners: Winners will be notified by phone or email within 30 days of selection and may be required to execute a Statement of Eligibility and Release and Payment Authorization within 30 days of prize notification attempt or Winner will be disqualified and prize may be awarded to an alternate winner. Return of prize or prize notification as undeliverable will result in disqualification and an alternate winner may be selected. Entry and/or acceptance of prize(s) constitutes permission for the Sponsor and its agencies (if any) to use the winner’s name, address (city and state) and/or likeness for advertising and trade purposes without further compensation or authorization, worldwide and in perpetuity, in any and all forms of media, now known and hereafter devised, unless prohibited by law.
6. Conditions: Sponsor is not liable for any technical malfunctions of any telephone network or lines, computer internet system, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any email on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the internet or at any website, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading/uploading any materials in this Contest, or other technical difficulties or failures or other errors of any kind. Sponsor is not responsible or liable for any injury or damage to an entrant’s or third person’s computer and/or its contents, related to or resulting from Contest. Sponsor reserves the right to terminate or modify the Contest at any time for any reason. In such a circumstance, the First Prize Winner, Second Prize Winner and Third Prize Winner will be selected based on entries received to date of termination. Reader’s Digest also reserves the right to modify this Contest in the event an insufficient number of entries are received and/or an insufficient number of entries meet the minimum judging criteria.
In the event that two similar entries are received, only the entry judged to best meet criteria as set by Reader’s Digest will be included in the final judging. Entrants agree to indemnify Reader’s Digest, its affiliated and subsidiary companies from and against any and all claims and liabilities arising out of or in connection with this Contest. Any dispute regarding submission of online entry will be deemed submitted by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at the time of entry. “Authorized account holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an email address by an internet access provider, online service provider, or other organizations (e.g., business, educational institute) that is responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address. Sponsor is the official timekeeper for this Contest. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any person tampering with the operation of the website or the entry process.
7. The total number of contestants anticipated nationwide is 1,000.
8. Winner List/Consumer Information: If you wish to receive a list of prizewinners, have any questions about the Contest, or you do not want to receive future sweepstakes or skill contest mailings from ABC, specify your request and write to: Reader’s Digest Made in America Photo Contest, attn.: Alexa Speyer, Reader’s Digest, 750 Third Avenue, New York, NY 10017 or email@example.com.