This vivid Washington Post profile of Jan Scruggs, the driving force behind the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, serves as a powerful reminder of that long-ago war’s enduring grip on America, especially on the men who fought it. I was moved by Scruggs’s encounters with his fellow Vietnam vets, and by his determination to build an education center so that future generations will understand how all those names ended up on that famous wall.
More About Inspiring Stories
What You’re Sharing
- How a Tiny Facebook Page Sparked a Movement of Kindness in Shorewood, Wisconsin
- When a Police Shooting Threatened to Tear This Town Apart, What Happened Next Will Restore Your Faith in Humanity
- The Tiny Town of 1,000 That Raised $45,000 in One Day
- How One Woman Quit Her Cardio Workout and Finally Started Losing Weight
- The Second-Most-Decorated U.S. Paralympian Is a Double Amputee Who’s Been Competing Since the Age of 12