The end of the year is often a time of reflection, with “Best Of” lists seemingly everywhere. Since 2006, the “Black List” has rounded up the most popular movies that weren’t—that is, unproduced screenplays that make the rounds in Tinseltown each calendar year but don’t get made. Hollywood executives rank the scripts.
The 2012 “Black List” has been released, and it’s worth a quick scan, film buff or not.
Just because potential movies make the list doesn’t mean they’ll never make it to the big screen. On the contrary, the Black List might offer a peek at what’s to come. Juno and The Social Network topped Black Lists in years past. (To make the list, a script needs at least six mentions by Hollywood execs.)
Here are three scripts from this year’s list that I’d love to see make it to theaters.
• Rodham: An exploration of Hillary Rodham Clinton’s experiences as a young lawyer with the House Judiciary Committee during the Watergate scandal (before she married Bill). The script follows Hillary as she chooses between politics and her relationship with the future president.
• JoJo Rabbit: The story of a 10-year-old boy who is injured by a grenade at a Hitler youth camp and discovers his mother is hiding a 15-year-old Jewish girl in their home during World War II.
• Draft Day: A Buffalo Bills’ general manager must make tough NFL Draft Day decisions to save the team. This one reportedly has Kevin Costner attached.
Which “Black List” choices would you like to see make it to filming?
Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of a car with the cramped public exposure of an airplane.
I think my pilot was a little inexperienced. We were sitting on the runway, and he said, “OK, folks, we’re gonna be taking off in a just few—whoa! Here we go.”
“I can’t wait until your vacation is over.” —Everyone following you on Instagram
A man knocked on my door and asked for a donation toward the local swimming pool. So I gave him a glass of water.
Comedian Greg Davies
Just found the worst page in the entire dictionary. What I saw was disgraceful, disgusting, dishonest, and disingenuous.
Client: We need you to log in to the YouTube and make all our company videos viral.
My cat just walked up to the paper shredder and said, “Teach me everything you know.”
“Just because you can’t dance doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dance.” —Alcohol
@yoyoha (Josh Hara)
My parents didn’t want to move to Florida, but they turned 60 and that’s the law.
Q: What do you call an Amish guy with his hand in a horse’s mouth?
A: A mechanic.
More About Culture
What You’re Sharing
- 11 Instagram-Worthy Staycation Ideas for Spring Break
- 8 Spanish Phrases Everyone Should Know How to Use
- Thinking About Hosting a Clothing Swap? 9 Things You Need to Do First
- Forget Book Club: This Fishing Club Is the Ultimate Female Bonding Experience
- 10 French Phrases Everyone in the World Should Know