You’ve heard the saying, “less is more.” My favorite professor once applied that notion to literary journalism, and when I stumbled upon the website onesentence.org, I immediately recalled his invaluable challenge: “Write short, write simple. Sometimes the most powerful story is the simplest.”
Onesentence.org is a collection of reader-submitted stories, told using one sentence.
Some are poignant: “Today I washed my mother’s hair for the first time,” a glimpse into the role reversal of aging.
Others hint at inner turmoil and guilt: “I was the only one who could swim and could’ve jumped in to save him in time, but I just stood there in shock and will now never forgive myself.”
There’s love: “I’ve heard over and over that ‘you’re supposed to marry your best friend,’ but my best friend didn’t agree as much as I did.”
And, everyday humor: “She hates melted cheese, but wants pizza.”
Tell us, what’s your one line story?
More About True Stories
What You’re Sharing
- How These Twin Babies Were Born with Different Skin Colors
- The Greatest Gift This Dad Ever Gave His Daughter Will Definitely Make You Cry
- How Presidents Met Their First Ladies: 10 True Love Stories to Make You Say ‘Awww’
- 15 of the Most Inspirational and Uplifting Nelson Mandela Quotes
- When a Police Shooting Threatened to Tear This Town Apart, What Happened Next Will Restore Your Faith in Humanity