10 Foods to Make You Sleepy
Carbohydrate foods that break down quickly during digestion have higher glycemic rankings. These foods may help you fall asleep in half the usual time if you eat them within 4 hours of bedtime by speeding up the release of tryptophan and serotonin, brain chemicals that promote sleep.
By Ellen Michaud with Julie Bain from Sleep to Be Sexy Smart and Slim
1. Jelly beans (80)
The index ranks various foods against pure glucose, which was given a score of 100. Learn more about glycemic index rankings and how the measures were developed.
2. Bread. Plain bagel (72), French bread (95)
3. Snacks. Corn chips (72), pretzels (81), rice cakes (82), Saltine
4. Cereal. Golden Grahams (71), Grapenuts Flakes (80), cornflakes (84)
5. Potatoes. Mashed potatoes (73), french fries (76), red baked
6. Instant rice (91)
Dan Fletcher / iStockphoto
7. Sweet snacks. Vanilla wafers (77), graham crackers (74)
8. Tofu dessert (115)
10. Honey (73)
Learn more: See information about the most common sleep disorders and discover strategies for getting the good night's sleep you deserve.
More About Everyday Wellness