3 Healthy Breakfast Makeovers for Long Lasting Energyfrom Magic Foods
- Substituted fiber-rich whole grain waffles for the white flour waffles to lower the GL.
- Decreased the number of waffles from three to one.
- Added protein-rich eggs to replace the waffle calories.
- Decreased the amount of maple syrup for fewer calories and a lower GL.
- Substituted Canadian back bacon for regular bacon. It’s much lower in saturated fat—which, you’ll recall, contributes to insulin resistance.
- Replaced the orange juice with half a grapefruit. Remember, whole fruit has more fiber and a lower GL than fruit juice.
Substitute a slice of rye toast for the waffle.
- Substituted a whole grain bagel for the white flour bagel for more fiber and a lower GL.
- Cut the bagel portion in half to limit carbs.
- Added peanut butter as a filling source of protein and “good” fat to add back calories without increasing the GL.
- Replaced the high-calorie, high-GL coffee beverage with plain coffee or tea.
- Switched the high-GL cereal for a lower-GL cereal.
- Decreased the cereal serving to further cut the GL.
- Cut calories and fat by switching from 2% milk to fat-free milk.
- Added fruit and nuts to the cereal to make up for the smaller portion. The fruit provides extra vitamins and phytochemicals, and the nuts, with their healthy fats, slow the digestion of the meal for a slower rise in blood sugar.
Go for All Bran cereal instead of Grape-Nuts Flakes.