Don’t be surprised by the small amount of black pepper in this filling—it heightens the blueberry flavor. The dough for the tart shell is made with monounsaturated olive oil instead of butter.
Prep time 30 minutes plus chilling
Bake time 30 minutes
• 1 1/2 cups flour
• 1⁄3 cup confectioners’ sugar
• 2 tsp. grated orange zest
• 1/2 tsp. baking powder
• 1/2 tsp. salt
• 1/4 cup plus 3 tbsp. olive oil
• 2 tbsp. plus 1/4 cup orange juice
• 2 bags (12 oz. each) frozen unsweetened blueberries
• 6 tbsp. granulated sugar, divided
• 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
• 1⁄8 tsp. nutmeg
• 3 tbsp. cornstarch
1. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, confectioners’ sugar, orange zest, baking powder, and salt. Add the oil and 2 tbsp. of the orange juice. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead 10 times, or until the dough forms a ball. Flatten into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and let stand 30 minutes at room temperature.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Press the dough onto the bottom and sides of a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Prick the bottom of the shell with a fork and line the pan with foil to cover the dough. Fill the foil with pie weights and bake the shell 15 minutes. Remove the foil and weights, and bake the shell 10 minutes more, or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
3. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the blueberries, the remaining 1/4 cup orange juice, 4 tbsp. of the granulated sugar, the pepper, and nutmeg; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook 5 minutes.
4. In a small bowl, stir together the remaining 2 tbsp. granulated sugar and the cornstarch. Stir the mixture into the berries and cook 2 minutes, or until the berry mixture is thick.
5. Cool the blueberry mixture to room temperature, then spoon into the baked shell. Chill the tart 1 hour before serving.
Per serving: 250 cal, 10 g fat (1 g sat), 38 g carbs, 2 g protein, 2 g fiber, 0 mg chol, 145 mg sodium, 16 mg calcium