NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND NECESSARY TO ENTER. PURCHASING WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING
By Submitting an entry you agree to these official rules:
1. Eligibility: This Contest is sponsored by The Reader’s Digest Association, Inc. (Reader’s Digest). Contest is open to residents of the U.S. its territories and possessions, including Puerto Rico who are 18 years of age or older at the time of entry. Employees of Reader’s Digest, or its affiliated or subsidiary companies, and their immediate family members, are not eligible to enter the Contest or to participate in the voting process. Contest is governed by the laws of the USA. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Void where prohibited by law.
2. To Enter: Entry begins at 12:00 p.m. on 9/16/13, and ends at 11:59 p.m. on 12/2/13 eastern time. To enter visit www.readersdigest.com/teachers and follow the instructions.
3. Teachers, tell us your funniest story about a student, a student’s parent, or a colleague. The entry must not be lewd, obscene, sexually explicit, pornographic, disparaging, defamatory, libelous or otherwise inappropriate or objectionable, as determined by the Judges and/or Sponsor in their sole and absolute discretion. The entry must not infringe the copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity or other intellectual property rights of any person or entity. Entries submitted in geographic areas in which the entry is not permissible will be disqualified. All entries become the property of Reader’s Digest and Reader’s Digest has the right to use all entries in all print and electronic media, and to edit them for brevity and clarity.
4. Judging: Editors from Reader’s Digest Magazine will select the best anecdote based on the following criteria: Humor 50%, Uniqueness 20%, Writing style 15% and Universality of appeal 15%. All entries will be judged using the criteria stated above. Judges decisions are final.
5. Prize(s): One winner will receive $1,000 and his/her anecdote will be published in the Reader’s Digest Magazine. All taxes, if any, as a result of winning this contest are the winner’s responsibility. Reader’s Digest will not be responsible for any loss, liability or damage arising out of the Winner’s acceptance or use of the prize. Prize is Guaranteed to be awarded. The Winner will be required to execute an affidavit of eligibility, and media use release within two (2) weeks from the date of the notification letter or an alternate winner may be selected.
6. Use of other entries: Reader’s Digest will also select several of the entries, between five (5) and Fifty (50) to publish in the magazine. Entrants will be paid the usual fee for such submissions and will be expected to sign all necessary documentation..
6. Conditions: Reader’s Digest is not liable for, late, lost, delayed, damaged, misdirected, incomplete, garbled or jumbled entries. Sponsor is not liable for any technical malfunctions of any telephone network or lines, computer internet system, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any email on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the internet or at any website, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading/uploading any materials in this Contest, or other technical difficulties or failures or other errors of any kind. Sponsor is not responsible or liable for any injury or damage to an entrant’s or third person’s computer and/or its contents, related to or resulting from Contest. Sponsor reserves the right to terminate or modify the Contest at any time for any reason. In such a circumstance, Winner will be selected based on entries received to date of termination. In the event of technical difficulties, contest dates are subject to change without notice. In the event that two similar entries are received, only the entry judged to best meet criteria as set by Reader’s Digest will be included in the final judging. Entrants agree to indemnify Reader’s Digest, their affiliated and subsidiary companies from and against any and all claims and liabilities arising out of or in connection with this Contest. Any dispute regarding submission of online entry will be deemed submitted by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at the time of entry. “Authorized account holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an email address by an internet access provider, online service provider, or other organizations (e.g. business, educational institute) that is responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any person tampering with the operation of the website or the entry process and/or any entry that it determines, in its sole discretion does not meet the requirements of the official Rules. All prizes will be awarded.
Winner will be notified by email and regular mail within two months of the closing date. All Finalists will be required to agree to the use of their name and likeness and entry for promotional purposes (except where prohibited by law).
7. WARRANTY AND INDEMNITY: Each Entrant agrees not to submit any Entry that infringes any 3rd party proprietary, intellectual property, industrial property, personal rights or other rights, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret or confidentiality obligation or includes any personally identifiable information To the maximum extent permitted by law, each Entrant indemnifies and agrees to keep indemnified the Sponsor at all times from and against any liability, claims, demands, losses, damages, costs and expenses resulting from any act, default or omission of the Entrant and/or a breach of any warranty set forth herein. To the maximum extent permitted by law, each Entrant indemnifies and agrees to keep indemnified the Sponsor at all times from and against any liability, actions, claims, demands, losses, damages, costs and expenses for or in respect of which the Sponsor will or may become liable by reason of or related or incidental to any act, default or omission by an Entrant under these Official Rules including without limitation resulting from or in relation to any breach, non-observance, act or omission whether negligent or otherwise, pursuant to these official rules by an Entrant.
8. SEVERABILITY: If any provision(s) of these Official Rules are held to be invalid or unenforceable, all remaining provisions hereof will remain in full force and effect.
9. The total number of contestants anticipated nationwide is 5,000.
10. Sponsor: The Sponsor of this Contest is the Reader’s Digest Association, Inc., 750 3rd Ave., New York, NY 10017.
11. Consumer Information: If you wish to receive a list of prize winners, or have any questions about the Contest, specify your request and send a self addressed stamped envelope to: Funniest Teacher Story Contest, 750 3rd Ave., New York, NY 10017.