Population: 3,968 (2000 Census)
Round 1: Second Place Municipal Runner-Up Prize of $25,000
For: Library renovations
The Dominy Memorial Library, housed in a century-old landmark structure, is beginning a new chapter of its history. A major renovation is well underway that will increase accessibility for those with disabilities, create new community rooms and meeting areas, and add a 10,000 square foot facility for children’s activities.
Although fundraising for this $2 million-plus initiative had been going on for a while, Fairbury’s success in securing money from the Reader’s Digest We Hear You America campaign last year had an incredible impact. The Reader’s Digest promotion helped shine a spotlight on the project and sparked even more donations. Debbie Oakland, the library’s director, said, “when everyone pulls together, anything is possible.” With six months of construction completed, the Dominy Memorial Library staff is excited to be moving back into its refurbished space at the beginning of 2012.
Just found the worst page in the entire dictionary. What I saw was disgraceful, disgusting, dishonest, and disingenuous.
Client: We need you to log in to the YouTube and make all our company videos viral.
My cat just walked up to the paper shredder and said, “Teach me everything you know.”
“Just because you can’t dance doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dance.” —Alcohol
@yoyoha (Josh Hara)
My parents didn’t want to move to Florida, but they turned 60 and that’s the law.
Q: What do you call an Amish guy with his hand in a horse’s mouth?
A: A mechanic.
More About Inspiring Stories
What You’re Sharing
- How Presidents Met Their First Ladies: 10 True Love Stories to Make You Say ‘Awww’
- “If You Find This Letter, Then It’s For You”: What It’s Like to Write Love Letters to Total Strangers
- Real-Life Ghost Story: Her Husband Had Been Dead For a Year. Then His Handprint Appeared on the Mirror.
- The Stranger Who Changed My Life: A Short Love Story
- 12 Short, Sweet Stories About Moms (That Will Make You Want to Call Yours)