Who says you have to be a household name or hold an advanced degree to change the world? At Reader’s Digest we’re all about celebrating seemingly ordinary people doing extraordinary things. Here are a few of my recent favorites:
1. A Texas postman by day, Kermit Oliver, 69, is the only American artist to design scarves (left) for French luxury goods maker Hermès. Listen to an NPR story about his art and life here, and don’t miss this slideshow of his scarf designs.
2. Lakewood Ranch, Florida, teenager Brittany Wenger recently won the Google Science Fair Grand Prize for an app she developed that helps doctors diagnose breast cancer. Check out her website for the impressive details of her project. “I think it might be hospital ready,” says Wenger.
3. Members of Planet Hunters, a group of armchair astronomers who volunteer to comb through data gathered by the NASA Kepler space mission, discovered a new planet. Even better: The new planet, called PH1 (for “planet hunters”) is six times bigger than Earth and has four suns!
Photo credit: Jason Sheeler
Just found the worst page in the entire dictionary. What I saw was disgraceful, disgusting, dishonest, and disingenuous.
Client: We need you to log in to the YouTube and make all our company videos viral.
My cat just walked up to the paper shredder and said, “Teach me everything you know.”
“Just because you can’t dance doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dance.” —Alcohol
@yoyoha (Josh Hara)
My parents didn’t want to move to Florida, but they turned 60 and that’s the law.
Q: What do you call an Amish guy with his hand in a horse’s mouth?
A: A mechanic.
More About Inspiring Stories
What You’re Sharing
- How Presidents Met Their First Ladies: 10 True Love Stories to Make You Say ‘Awww’
- “If You Find This Letter, Then It’s For You”: What It’s Like to Write Love Letters to Total Strangers
- Real-Life Ghost Story: Her Husband Had Been Dead For a Year. Then His Handprint Appeared on the Mirror.
- The Stranger Who Changed My Life: A Short Love Story
- 12 Short, Sweet Stories About Moms (That Will Make You Want to Call Yours)