• Our hero: Charlie Starbuck, 74
• Where he lives: San Francisco, California
• How he helps: Planting city trees
Walk a block or two in almost any neighborhood in San Francisco and you can tell Charlie Starbuck has been there. His fingerprints might be on a Brisbane box tree, a bronze loquat, a primrose, or a purple leaf plum. Whatever the species of tree, chances are excellent that Starbuck put his hands in the dirt and helped plant it.
A softspoken gentleman fond of berets, Starbuck began noticing San Francisco’s dearth of trees after moving to the city in the 1960s. Through a friend, he heard about the citywide Friends of the Urban Forest (FUF) tree-planting program and has been volunteering since 1981—almost 30 years of weekly plantings, without pay, come rain or shine.
“He’s our rock,” says Doug Wildman, program director of FUF.
The average tree planting is 30 trees per outing, though 60-and even 90-tree plantings occur from time to time. Starbuck acts as a guide and teacher to the homeowners and volunteers. “You change so much in one morning,” he says. “It’s an emotional high for me.”
In the past year, FUF planted some 1,000 new trees—with Starbuck’s help, of course. “He’s done it in such a modest way,” another volunteer, Michael Sullivan, says of Starbuck. “Week after week. He’s the Lou Gehrig of tree planting.”
Know a local hero? Visit American Towns to submit your nomination: americantowns.com/powerofone.
Just found the worst page in the entire dictionary. What I saw was disgraceful, disgusting, dishonest, and disingenuous.
Client: We need you to log in to the YouTube and make all our company videos viral.
My cat just walked up to the paper shredder and said, “Teach me everything you know.”
“Just because you can’t dance doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dance.” —Alcohol
@yoyoha (Josh Hara)
My parents didn’t want to move to Florida, but they turned 60 and that’s the law.
Q: What do you call an Amish guy with his hand in a horse’s mouth?
A: A mechanic.
More About Inspiring Stories
What You’re Sharing
- How Presidents Met Their First Ladies: 10 True Love Stories to Make You Say ‘Awww’
- “If You Find This Letter, Then It’s For You”: What It’s Like to Write Love Letters to Total Strangers
- Real-Life Ghost Story: Her Husband Had Been Dead For a Year. Then His Handprint Appeared on the Mirror.
- The Stranger Who Changed My Life: A Short Love Story
- 12 Short, Sweet Stories About Moms (That Will Make You Want to Call Yours)