All-star American swimmer Michael Phelps didn’t have the best Saturday: He not only got trounced by rival Ryan Lochte in the 400-meter individual medley, but also placed outside of the top three altogether. Just four years ago, Phelps smashed the world record in the 400-meter medley relay, making his London failure all the more pronounced.
Writers Josh Levin and Justin Peters offer this humorous take on Slate.com: “The guy with the most gold medals in history is just a man, not a merman.” Jokes aside, they also make the astute observation that this fall from first place could turn into an American second act.
“[Losing] shows that Phelps is human; it makes him a bit more likable. If, however, he continues to flounder, he’ll take a short-term marketability hit while setting himself up for a hell of a comeback narrative going into 2016,” the two suggest. Or, he could take gold this week, in the upcoming races he has against Lochte. And that would make for great reality TV.
Photo by Karen Blaha via Wikimedia Commons
Just found the worst page in the entire dictionary. What I saw was disgraceful, disgusting, dishonest, and disingenuous.
Client: We need you to log in to the YouTube and make all our company videos viral.
My cat just walked up to the paper shredder and said, “Teach me everything you know.”
“Just because you can’t dance doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dance.” —Alcohol
@yoyoha (Josh Hara)
My parents didn’t want to move to Florida, but they turned 60 and that’s the law.
Q: What do you call an Amish guy with his hand in a horse’s mouth?
A: A mechanic.
More About True Stories
What You’re Sharing
- How Presidents Met Their First Ladies: 10 True Love Stories to Make You Say ‘Awww’
- “If You Find This Letter, Then It’s For You”: What It’s Like to Write Love Letters to Total Strangers
- Real-Life Ghost Story: Her Husband Had Been Dead For a Year. Then His Handprint Appeared on the Mirror.
- The Stranger Who Changed My Life: A Short Love Story
- 12 Short, Sweet Stories About Moms (That Will Make You Want to Call Yours)