One of the most recognizable accessories of the U.S. military uniform, the humble combat boot is now being elevated to help promote awareness of what wounded veterans face when they return home.
Founded by five Texas women, The Boot Campaign encourages civilians to buy (and wear) authentic combat boots to stand tall with our troops. The organization donates 100 percent of net profits to military charities that provide essential services to returning vets, like job placement and training, financial support, and counseling. To the “Boot Girls,” combat boots worn with everyday clothes is an expression of patriotism, a visual thank-you to our servicemen and women, as well as a conversation starter.
This year alone, the campaign has raised over $600,000 for partner organizations, and several celebrities ranging from Troy Aikman to Governor Rick Perry have joined in as ambassadors, submitting photos of themselves proudly donning combat boots. Visit the Boot Campaign website for information on how you can get involved, and be sure to browse through their inspiring image gallery of boots in action.
More About Culture
What You’re Sharing
- 23 Things Your Mail Carrier Won’t Tell You
- 8 Rare, Vintage Photos That Prove Winters Were Way Worse in the Past
- Here’s Why Your Brain Needs You to Read Every Single Day
- 13 Things Credit Card Companies Know About You
- Squirrels and 11 Other Animal Species Who Could Totally Rule The World If They Tried A Little Harder