No special magic is required to stitch up this striking outfit, which is bound to be a hit with Harry Potter fans. The Sorcerer’s cape is two rectangles of satin that are stitched together and then machine-appliquéd with silver lamé stars, and is worn over a silver lamé vest. The hat is painted with freehand stars and spirals, a step that kids can do themselves. The costume has a matching drawstring goodie bag sized to hold a generous supply of treats and party favors.
You Will Need
1 1/2 yards purple satin, for cape and hat
1 yard turquoise satin, for cape lining
1 yard silver lamé, for vest and stars
3/4 yard lining fabric, for vest
1/2 yard paper-backed fusible web, for appliqués
1/2 yard fusible fleece, for hat
12 inches 1/2-inch-wide purple ribbon
Silver glitter paint
Where to Buy
Look for satin, lamé, and lining fabric at sites such as JoAnn.com, Fabric.com, and SewAndQuilt. The fusible web, fusible fleece, and ribbon can be purchased online at sewing supply sites such as SewAndQuilt and ThreadArt.com. You can find glitter paint and paintbrushes at JoAnn.com.
What to Do
Cutting Directions for the Vest:
1. Enlarge the vest patterns onto tissue paper.
2. Fold silver lamé in half. Pin pattern for back to fabric with long dash lines on fold. Cut one. Cut 2 vest fronts. Repeat with lining fabric.
Making the Vest:
3. With the right sides of vest fronts to right side of vest back, stitch the shoulder and side seams of the vest together with a 1/2-inch seam allowance.
4. With right sides facing, stitch vest lining together at the shoulder and side seams, leaving an opening in one side seam.
5. With right sides together, stitch vest and lining together around the outside edges and armholes. Trim seams to 1/4 inch. Turn the vest right side out through the opening in the lining. Slipstitch the opening closed.
6. Stitch a 3-inch piece of hook-and-loop tape to each side of the center front of the vest for closing.
Cutting Directions for the Cape:
7. Cut one piece of purple satin and a matching one of turquoise satin 43 X 31 inches.
8. Cut a 1/4-yard piece of silver lamé. Using star pattern, trace 12 stars to paper side of fusible web and fuse to the wrong side of the silver lamé. Cut out stars.
Making the Cape:
9. Remove paper backing from stars and fuse them to the right side of purple satin.
10. Using a zigzag stitch, machine-stitch around the edges of each shape.
11. With right sides of purple and turquoise satin together, stitch around the 2 short sides and one long side. Begin and end 3/4 inch down from the top edge, as shown in diagram for sorcerer’s cape. Stitch along top edge, leaving a 5-inch opening for turning. Turn right side out and slipstitch opening closed.
12. Measure down 1/2 inch from top edge of the cape and draw a line. Stitch along marked line to form casing. Cut a 1-yard piece of ribbon and insert the ribbon through the casing.
Making the Goodie Bag:
13. Cut 2 pieces of turquoise satin 10 x 13 inches.
14. With right sides together, stitch around 2 long sides and one short side of bag.
15. Turn under 3/4 inch at the top edge of the bag and stitch, leaving an opening at one side seam for inserting the ribbon.
16. Using silver glitter paint, paint stars and swirls on bag.
17. Allow paint to dry; insert ribbon through casing.
Cutting Directions for the Hat:
18. Measure the circumference of your child’s head and enlarge hat pattern until the bottom edge of the hat equals half the measurement plus 1 inch. For example, if the child’s head measurement is 20 inches, then the bottom edge of the hat pattern should measure 11 inches.
19. Before cutting out hat, fuse fleece to the wrong side of the silver lamé fabric.
20. Fold both the silver lamé fabric and the purple satin separately, right sides facing.
21. Place enlarged pattern piece(s) on folded fabric with long dash lines on fold. Trace and cut out. You will have one silver lamé piece and one purple satin piece.
Making the Sorcerer’s Hat:
22. Paint freehand stars and swirls on right side of purple satin with silver glitter paint. Allow paint to dry thoroughly.
23. With right sides facing, stitch purple and silver hat pieces together, using a 1/2-inch seam allowance and leaving an opening for turning. Turn hat right side out and slipstitch opening closed. You will now have a flat, wedge-shaped piece.
24. Roll wedge shape into a cone. Cut a 9 1/2-inch length of the hook side of hook-and-loop tape and attach to one side of center of hat; cut an equal length of loop tape and attach to opposite side of hat.