1. Nose-to-nose greetings between cats are unusual, as it puts both in a vulnerable position. However, cats who know each other well but have been apart for a while feel safe enough to do this to confirm visual recognition and gain information about how the other cat is, where he has been and what he has been doing.
2. Purring usually indicates contentment, however, a deep purr can also indicate pain. If you know your cat well you will be able to tell the difference in his demeanor.
3. Cats start to purr at one week old and can do so continually as they inhale and exhale.
4. Young cats purr in a monotone, while older ones do so in two to three resonant notes.
5. Scientist still do not know exactly how the purring sound is made, although some believe that it originates in the cardiovascular system rather than the throat.
6. Cats appear to retain their kitten vocal signals to communicate with their owners, but they use and adult repertoire of sound with other cats.
7. Like dogs, cats can also get sick or die from eating chocolate.
8. Cats like to nap rather than sleep but if relaxed enough to enter a deeper sleep, they produce the same brain wave patterns that we do when we dream.
9. Cats blink and narrow their eyes when they accidentally make eye contact. To make friends with an unfamiliar cat, blink and look away when you catch his eyes
10. A cat’s pulse is between 160-240 beats per minute, depending on the age of the cat (the younger he is, the faster the heartbeat.)
11. Cats cannot understand punishment as humans do, they must be praised and rewarded for desired behavior instead.
12. Giving your cat a strip of raw meat everyday to chew on will keep his gums and teeth in good condition. Suitable meats include poultry, rabbit, or beef that has been deboned.
13. If your cat appears to be able to tolerate heat very well this is because the ancestors of cats were originally desert-living animals.
[sale-item img=”http://media.rd.com/rd/images/rdc/products/Essential-Cat-pd.jpg” title=”Essential Cat” price=”26.96″ link=”http://www.readersdigeststore.com/Essential-Cat-The-Essential-Guide-to/M/0762104961.htm?trkid=rdv_store”]