280 Main St., Amherst, Massachusetts
Two historic houses, The Homestead and The Evergreens, stand preserved as a monument to the life and works of the poet Emily Dickinson. Though only 10 of her poems are known to have been published during her lifetime, Dickinson gained posthumous recognition for her works, including letters and almost 1,800 poems.
Dickinson was born at The Homestead in December of 1830 and lived all but 15 years of her life there. The gardens and natural surroundings of the house and The Evergreens, home of her brother and sister-in-law, most likely inspired many of her poems. Despite her reclusive nature, Dickinson had a strong relationship with her brother, Austin, and his wife, Susan, who were probably members of her limited audience during her lifetime.
The museum, owned by Amherst College, seeks to educate visitors about the life, works, and legacy of Emily Dickinson, in addition to preserving the houses as historical resources. The museum offers guided tours of the houses and grounds, exhibits, and numerous events and programs.
Open Wed. – Sun., Mar. – Dec.