502 S. Pearlette St., Meade
The Dalton Gang, named for the Dalton brothers who were its godfathers, was among the most feared, if not so successful, criminal bands that terrorized the Midwest in the 1890s. One of the notorious gang’s hideouts was this pretty wood-frame house, the home of the Dalton boys’ sister Eva and her husband. Restored in the 1940s, the house and barn (now including a small museum and a gift shop) are connected by a 95-foot underground tunnel, thought to be the gang’s escape route when the law was in hot pursuit of them. Walking through the tunnel today gives visitors an eerie sense of the perils of being a bad guy in the wild and woolly Old West days.
The gang fell apart in 1892, when two Dalton brothers were killed and a third was captured in a gun battle following a failed bank robbery in Coffeyville, Kansas.
Open year-round except major holidays. Admission charged.