6354 Hwy. 85, Robeline, Louisiana
The fortress and mission known as Los Adaes, which under Spanish rule served as the capital of the province of Texas, was built in 1719 as a stronghold against the French. Its reign as the center of the Texas government ended a half century later, when France gave the unprofitable Louisiana colony to Spain, and the fort was closed down and deemed unnecessary.
In the 18th century, when Los Adaes flourished, the town was inhabited by Spanish soldiers and Adaes Native Americans. It included a blacksmith’s shop, a small chapel, and soldiers barracks. The buildings have long disappeared, but the 58-acre site has a historic hiking trail, earthenworks, a timber outline of the fort, and part of the original El Camino Real de los Tejas, the major roadway to Mexico City.
The visitors center displays a collection of tools, weapons, and other artifacts found on the grounds, and the staff offers programs on the day-today lives of the Spanish Colonial settlers of the area. The site of the fort itself is marked by a flag.
Grounds open daily except major winter holidays.