Off Hwy. 90 in Deer Lodge, Montana
In the 1850s a Canadian fur trapper named Johnny Grant abandoned his traplines and started raising cattle in Montana. By 1866, when he sold his ranch to Conrad Kohrs, he had 2,000 cattle and the finest house in the state.
Kohrs became one of the great cattle barons of the American West. His wife, Augusta, made her frontier home a model of 19th-century elegance, importing the best furnishings from St. Louis and Chicago.
Now the Grant-Kohrs Ranch is maintained as a working ranch. The main house and its original furnishings are preserved intact, along with the bunkhouse, stables, barns, sheds, and workshops dating as far back as the 1860s. Park rangers conduct tours of the main house, provide guided wagon tours, and host a chuck wagon program; the 13 outbuildings are on a self-guiding tour.
Open year-round except holidays.
(406) 846-2070 Ext.250