The only part of Acadia National Park on the mainland, Schoodic Peninsula has fewer tourists than the larger, more diverse, and better-known Mount Desert Island. But something of the special character of Acadia is perhaps more beguiling here, where headlands of weathered rock reach down to the water, and farther out, at Schoodic Point, the ocean is tumultuous and spectacular. The heavy seas thunder headlong into great shelves of pink granite and spray high into the air.
John G. Moore acquired the peninsula to use as a wild park adjacent to a resort he was planning to build. But he died in 1899, and the property went to his heirs. They offered it as an addition to the existing Lafayette National Park on Mount Desert Island, with the stipulation that the name of the park be changed. By an act of Congress in 1929, the peninsula was added, and the name of the park was changed to Acadia.
From Rte. 186 the entire rugged shoreline is paralleled by a six-mile-long stretch of well-maintained one-way road that drivers share with cyclists. At frequent turnouts splendid seascapes break through the forest wall and offer views of bogs, coves where shorebirds feed, bays dotted with lobster boats, and wooded islands in the distance. A mile-long gravel road climbs to Schoodic Head, where on clear days the coastal view is magnificent.
The Blueberry Hill parking area is the departure point for hiking trails ascending inland through stands of spruce and across open hillsides dotted with low-bush blueberries. One steep trail ascends 180 feet to a promontory called the Anvil. One can also walk down toward the water to view marine flora and fauna.