Although Meghan Markle will never be called “Princess Meghan” thanks to British monarchy protocol and its intricate technicalities, that won’t stop her from living like a princess once she marries into the family of her intended, Prince Harry. And one thing that goes with living like a princess is traveling like a royal. If you want the royal experience, here’s what it takes:
- Have a huge travel budget: Although the British royal family, like most families, has limitations, they’re minimal: According to Hello Magazine, the royal travel budget was $5.8 million in 2017.
- Expect your destination to pick up your expenses: The countries that royals visit often pay for some of the travel costs.
- Travel by private jet: Sometimes the royals also fly commercial, but pretty much only British Airways.
- Travel with a full staff and security entourage: The royals never travel without their full squad of trained professionals, sometimes as many as a dozen deep. (Did you know the Queen of England doesn’t need a passport?)
- Stay in the swankiest locales: For their honeymoon, Prince William and Duchess Kate visited The Seychelles (a small republic in the Indian Ocean), and stayed in a villa that costs $7,995 nightly, according to Fodor’s Travel. Duchess Kate’s rumored favorite Caribbean vacation spot is Mustique, where renting a private home can cost upwards of $30,000 a week.
- Hobnob with A-listers: Think heads of state, rock stars, movie stars, sports stars, etc. Of course, Meghan Markle is already a Hollywood star in her own right, and according to the Daily Mail, Duchess Kate was starstruck at the thought of meeting her.
Unless you have the funds, traveling like a member of the royal family will be tough. You could take small steps, like packing the one beauty product Meghan Markle never travels without. It’s totally affordable!