6838 Highland Rd., St. Francisville
Colonnaded on all four sides, this Greek Revival structure stands on a rise overlooking a reflecting pool edged with azaleas, willows, and moss-draped live oaks. Lavishly furnished with Victorian antiques, it is such a perfect-looking antebellum Southern mansion that it has been used as the setting for five movies and two TV miniseries.
Surprisingly, however, the building is a reconstruction, though some of the furniture and paintings are original. The home, built by cotton and sugarcane planter Ruffin Barrow in 1830, was completely destroyed by fire in 1960 except for the 28 columns surrounding it. The rebuilding was the dedicated undertaking of Carolyn and Richard Barnes, who also farm the plantation, now reduced in size from 12,000 acres to 278.
Open year-round except major holidays. Admission charged.
(800) 259-4475; (225) 655-4475