11 Ways to Cut Calories When Dining Out
These small changes will add up to a lot of saved calories.
With just a few small changes to your restaurant order, you can save hundreds of calories. Here are 11 smart choices to make when dining out.
1. Select an appetizer as your main entrée. Calories saved: usually more than 100
2. Pass on the breadsticks and garlic bread. Calories saved: 100-140
3. Choose either 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese or 2 packets of croutons on your salad — not both. Calories saved: 45-95
4. Pasta anyone? Choose 1 cup of marinara sauce instead of Alfredo. Calories saved: 50
5. Hold the tartar sauce on your fish sandwich. Calories saved: 60
6. Hold the cheese on your fast-food hamburger. Calories saved: 40
7. Reduce the size of your steak from a 4.5-ounce portion to a 3-ounce portion. Calories saved: 100
8. Order two small slices of cheese pizza instead of 2 slices of pepperoni pizza. Calories saved: 50
9. Go for grill marks. Choose a grilled chicken sandwich over one that’s breaded and fried. Calories saved: 80-100
10. Skip the evening nightcap. Have hot tea instead of brandy or dessert wine. Calories saved: 75-125
11. Ordering stir-fry for dinner? Choose scallops, chicken, or shrimp, instead of beef. Calories saved: 50-75