21 of the Worst Presents You’ve Ever Gotten
Everyone has gotten a rotten gift. We asked our readers to share with us the one present that had them running to the store’s returns department.
© Hemera/ThinkstockEveryone has gotten a rotten gift. We asked our readers to share with us the one present that had them running to the store’s returns department.
1. I once received a toilet seat.
—Julie K., Shellsburg, Iowa
2. The book What to Expect When You’re Expecting. I was in high school and not even dating.
—Audrey A., Norfolk, Virginia
3. A fifth of whiskey, even though I’m an alcoholic.
—Clark H., Magdalena, New Mexico
4. A very nice sweater that someone had worn, stained, and regifted to me.
—Belinda M., Orangeville, Pennsylvania
5. A donation in my name to a cause I don’t support.
—Marci E., North Richland Hills, Texas
6. I got my own Christmas gift back the next year.
—Carol E., Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
7. A subscription to the Nutrisystem weight-loss program.
—Rosemary G., LaGrange, Kentucky
8. A bar of soap.
—Shirley B., Macomb, Michigan
9. A turquoise man-kini. I am 60 years old and weigh 250 pounds.
—Erich P., Phoenix, Arizona
10. An iron and ironing board from my (now ex-) husband.
—Nancy M., South Attleboro, Massachusetts
11. A book titled 101 Wines Under $5.
—Cindy M., Greensburg, Pennsylvania
12. A bag of cotton balls.
—Claudia A., Columbia Falls, Montana
13. A Christmas tree ornament. I’m Jewish.
—Cary L., Royal Oak, Michigan
14. A pill vial designed like a white elephant and filled with the baby teeth of my friend’s children.
—Marcia A., Carlsbad, California
15. Legos. I’m 34.
—Lisa A., Boise, Idaho
16. I received a book on Chinese culture written in Chinese.
—Phil H., Carmel, Indiana
17. A doorknob.
—Sweet I., Jefferson, New Hampshire
18. A used spatula.
—Sheila H., Grand Junction, Colorado
19. One slipper.
—Robin R., Smithfield, Pennsylvania
20. A book of etiquette from my mother-in-law.
—Maureen C., Pleasanton, California
21. Dental floss.
—Lisa C., Alpharetta, Georgia