Apples and chicken may seem like an unusual combination, but they make a wonderful meal when grilled to perfection.
- 6 tablespoons apple juice
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 4 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 medium Golden Delicious or other all-purpose apples, peeled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 cup apple juice
How to make it:
- In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients; mix well.
- Pour half of the marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Coat grill rack with nonstick cooking spray before starting the grill.
- Drain and discard marinade from chicken. Dip apples in reserved marinade; set aside. Combine the honey with the remaining marinade.
- Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat for 4 to 6 minutes on each side or until juices run clear, basting frequently with the honey marinade.
- Grill apples, uncovered, for 3 to 5 minutes, basting and turning frequently or until lightly browned.
- In a saucepan, combine the cornstarch, thyme, and apple juice until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Slice the grilled apples; stir into sauce. Serve with chicken. Serves 4.
Originally Published: May 26, 2005
Originally Published in Reader's Digest