Avocado-Dressed Shrimp à la Mexicana
A delicious meal you’ll want tonight.
[ingredients-list title=”Ingredients” serving_size=””]
- 12 oz. (about 2 1/2 cups) small-medium cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 medium white onion, cut into 1/4-in. pieces
- 1 large ripe tomato, cut into 1/4-in. pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- Hot green chiles to taste (3 serranos, or 1 to 2 jalapeños), stemmed and roughly chopped
- 1 medium ripe avocado, pitted, skin removed, and flesh roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped cilantro, loosely packed and thick bottom stems cut off, plus sprigs for garnish
[step-list-wrapper title=”How to make it” time=””]
[step-item number=”1″ image_url=”” title=”” ]In medium bowl, combine shrimp, onion, and tomato. Pour lime juice into food processor or blender. Cover and turn on. Drop in chiles and, when finely chopped, turn off and add avocado and cilantro. Process until smooth. Thin to creamy consistency with water, about 2 to 3 tbs. Taste and season with salt, about 1 tsp. You will have about 1 1/2 cups dressing. [/step-item]
[step-item number=”2″ image_url=”” title=”” ]Mix dressing with shrimp mixture. Cover with plastic wrap directly on surface of shrimp and refrigerate. When ready to serve, transfer to serving bowl and decorate with cilantro sprigs. Makes about 4 cups.[/step-item][/step-list-wrapper]
Note: Salad is best when eaten within an hour or two of being made. Keep refrigerated until just before serving.
FIESTA AT RICK’S: FABULOUS FOOD FOR GREAT TIMES WITH FRIENDS, COPYRIGHT © 2010 BY RICK BAYLESS AND DEANN GROEN BAYLESS, IS PUBLISHED AT $35 BY W.W. NORTON & COMPANY, INC., 500 FIFTH AVENUE, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 10110.