How to Make Irresistible Biscuits From Scratch
Celebrated Chef Matt Farley from Nashville's acclaimed restaurant The Southern shares his secrets for pulling off biscuits from scratch.
Nashville is a city known for many things, and its lauded cuisine has joined the list along with its music scene and southern hospitality (oh, and whiskey). From James Beard award-winning hot chicken shacks to regional candy giant Goo Goo Clusters, if you’re going to visit you’d better bring those pants with the elastic waistband. Back home, you can still put some south in your mouth with these fluffy biscuits from Chef Matt Farley of Nashville’s The Southern. It’s the tangy hit of bleu cheese you remember, long after the creamy buttermilk bite is gone.
The Southern’s Bleu Cheese Biscuits
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons bBaking powder
½ tablespoon salt
½ pound butter (2 sticks), cubed
1 ½ cups buttermilk
1 cup bleu cheese, crumbled
Yield: 24 biscuits
1. Place the first 4 ingredients in a mixer. Run mixer on low for 15 seconds to mix dry ingredients.
2. Add cold, cubed butter and mix until mixture begins to hold together.
3. Add buttermilk with mixer running and mix only until buttermilk just incorporated. Do not overwork.
4. Generously flour a flat surface and place dough in the center. (Dough should be wet) Then, form into a rectangle.
5. Fold the bleu cheese 3 times into dough. each time incorporating a little more flour.
6. Roll to 1/2 inch thickness, cut with bicuit cutter and bake on parchment-lined sheet pan at 350 degrees for 11 minutes.
36 oz. steak cut of choice, (1.5 oz of beef per biscuit)
4 cups of veal demi glace
3 tbsp. horseradish
1/2 tbsp. course black pepper
salt to taste
1 cup heavy cream
1. Place veal demi and horseradish in a pot and bring to a simmer.
2. Add cream and pepper and reduce by 1/3.
3. Season to taste with salt.
To assemble biscuits:
1. Season fillet mignon medallions (or other tender cut of beef) with salt and pepper and grill to desired temperature.
2. Place grilled medallions in a small mixing bowl and spoon enough horseradish demi on them until generously coated.
3. Split and warm the bleu cheese biscuits on the grill and assemble steak sandwich.