Chicken and Spinach Calzone
The delicious filling here is ready-cooked roast chicken mixed with spinach, peppers and creamy ricotta cheese.
The delicious filling here is ready-cooked roast chicken mixed with spinach, peppers and creamy ricotta cheese. Serve with a side salad.
[quicklook-recipe prep_time=”45 min” cook_time=”15 min” serves=”4″ details=”” ]
[ingredients-list title=”Ingredients” serving_size=””]
- 2 cups (280 g) white bread mix
- 1 2/3 cups (350 g) frozen spinach, thawed in a sieve
- 3/4 cup (200 g) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup (50 g) grated parmesan cheese
- 4 large chargrilled red pepper pieces, drained and chopped
- 6 spring onions, finely chopped
- tablespoons shredded fresh basil
- Grated nutmeg, to taste
- 7 ounces skinless roast chicken, finely shredded
- 1 egg, beaten
[/ingredients-list][step-list-wrapper title=”How to make it ” time=”1 hour”]
[step-item number=”1″ image_url=”” title=”” ]Make up the dough according to the packet instructions. Knead the dough briefly on a lightly floured work surface until smooth, then put into a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a clean tea towel. Leave to rise for about 15 minutes until doubled in size.[/step-item]
[step-item number=”2″ image_url=”” title=”” ]Meanwhile, prepare the filling. Use your hands to squeeze all excess water from the spinach. Put the spinach in a bowl and mix in the ricotta, parmesan, peppers, spring onions and basil. Season to taste with nutmeg, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Preheat the oven to 220°C.[/step-item]
[step-item number=”3″ image_url=”” title=”” ]Knock back the risen dough and cut it into four equal pieces. Roll out each piece on a lightly floured surface to a 20 cm round. Spread one-quarter of the spinach mixture over half of each dough round, taking it to about 2.5 cm from the edge. Pile the chicken on top.[/step-item]
[step-item number=”4″ image_url=”” title=”” ]Brush the edge of each dough round with beaten egg, then fold over the untopped half to make a half-moon shape. Crimp the edges to seal tightly.[/step-item]
[step-item number=”5″ image_url=”” title=”” ]Place on a lightly oiled large baking tray. Brush with beaten egg and bake for about 15 minutes until puffed and golden brown. Serve hot.[/step-item]
[nutrition-info calories=”550″ calories_fat=”” fat=”16 g” sat_fat=”7.5 g” choles=”” sodium=”912 mg” carbs=”58.5 g” sugars=”” protein=”37 g” fiber=”9.5″] [/nutrition-info]
• For vegetarian calzone, spread each dough round first with one-quarter of the ricotta cheese, then with 2 tablespoons tomato purée (passata). Top with lightly fried, sliced button mushrooms and sliced, cooked and peeled red capsicums. Sprinkle with fresh thyme leaves and a cheese suitable for vegetarians. Fold, seal and bake as in the main recipe.
[sale-item img=”http://media.rd.com/rd/images/rdc/products/healthy-one-dish-cooking-or-just-1-pot-pd.jpg” title=”Healthy One-Dish Cooking” price=”29.95″ link=”http://www.readersdigeststore.com/Just-One-Pot/M/0762106832.htm?trkid=rdv_store”]