Christmas Cookie Recipe: Pioneer Woman Ree Drummond’s Christmas Cutouts
This great Christmas cookie recipe can be used for desserts year-round—just change the festive cutouts and glaze coloring.
Photograph: Yunhee Kim; Food styling: Stephana Bottom; Prop Styling: Elizabeth Maclennan for Pat Bates“This is my favorite nostalgic, comfort-food, fun-to-make, low-fuss, lowbrow, high-calorie, non-snobby, yummy Christmas cookie of all time,” says Drummond. “It comes from my mom, Gee, who used this simple but flavorful sugar cookie dough to make cookies for any occasion.”
Time: 2 hours
Yields: About 30 cookies
• 2/3 cup shortening
• 3/4 cup sugar
• 1/2 tsp. grated orange or lemon zest
• 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
• 1 egg
• 4 tsp. milk
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 and 1/2 tsp. baking powder
• 1/4 tsp. salt
• 1 egg yolk
• Food coloring
• 1 bag (2 lbs.) powdered sugar
• 1/4 cup milk
1. In bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream together shortening, sugar, orange or lemon zest, and vanilla on medium to medium-high speed. Add egg, and beat until light and fluffy. Add milk, and mix.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt, then blend into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half, slightly flatten between 2 sheets of waxed paper, and refrigerate for 1 hour (or freeze for 20 minutes).
3. Meanwhile, prepare Colorful Glaze: Combine egg yolk, 1 tsp. water, and food coloring as desired (for multiple colors, make multiple batches). When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375°F.
4. Roll out dough onto 1/4-inch thickness on lightly floured surface. Cut dough into shapes with cookie cutters. Transfer shapes to lightly greased cookie sheets. With soft brush, paint cookies with Colorful Glaze as desired.
5. Bake 6 to 8 minutes; do not allow cookies to brown. Remove cookies from oven and place on wire rack to cool complete.y
6. Meanwhile, prepare White Icing: In large bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and milk (mixture should be fairly thick). Put icing in pastry bag or ziplock bag with tip cut off. When cookies are completely cool, decorate as desired with icing.