Classic Gazpacho Soup
[quicklook-recipe prep_time=”20 min” cook_time=”” serves=”4″ details=”” ] SECRET INGREDIENT: bread Most soups are enriched and thickened with cream or a
[quicklook-recipe prep_time=”20 min” cook_time=”” serves=”4″ details=”” ]
SECRET INGREDIENT: bread
Most soups are enriched and thickened with cream or a mixture of butter and flour. Gazpacho achieves its body with a different thickener: bread. The bread is pureed right along with the vegetables in this no-cook soup, creating a satisfying texture as it allows the light, refreshing taste of the vegetables to shine through.
[ingredients-list title=”Ingredients” serving_size=””]
- 1 pound fresh tomatoes, quartered and seeded
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 slice bread, torn into pieces
- 2 cups low-sodium tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely diced
- 2 slices bread, toasted and cut into cubes
[step-list-wrapper title=”How to make it ” time=”20 minutes”]
[step-item number=”1″ image_url=”” title=”” ]
For soup, mix the tomatoes, cucumber, pepper, garlic, onion, bread, tomato juice, tomato puree, vinegar, oil, and salt in a large bowl. Ladle batches of the mixture into a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Pour the soup into a large clean bowl, then cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
[step-item number=”2″ image_url=”” title=”” ]
For vegetables, place the pepper, scallions, cucumber, and bread croutons in separate serving dishes. To serve, ladle the soup into bowls over the vegetables.
Personalize It! For a milder flavor, use 2 shallots instead of the onion. Or, if you like it spicy, stick with the onion and add 1 seeded, deveined, and diced jalapeño pepper (wear gloves when handling) to the vegetables. In very hot weather, add a few ice cubes to the soup just before serving to keep it well-chilled.