Cool Tips for Your Summer Workout
Summer’s heat and humidity shouldn’t keep you from exercising — you just need to take precautions. To stay safe and
Summer’s heat and humidity shouldn’t keep you from exercising — you just need to take precautions. To stay safe and prevent dehydration and heat-related illnesses, follow these guidelines:
1. Exercise in the morning or evening, when temperatures are lower.
2. Wear as little clothing as you can, but make sure it’s not too tight and doesn’t chafe.
3. Deflect sun with white or light colors and a hat.
4. Use water-resistant sunscreen (re-apply it hourly).
5. Work out in shaded areas as much as possible.
6. Before, during, and after exercise, avoid alcoholic or caffeinated beverages. They’re diuretics, so they’ll take fluid out of your body when you need it most.
7. If you’re exercising less than two hours, drink water before and during the activity (6 to 8 fl oz every 15 minutes).
8. If you’re exercising for more than two hours, drink 12 to 20 fl oz water 15 to 30 minutes before exercising.
9. After exercise, make sure you drink enough water to completely quench your thirst.