How to Make Disney’s Official Churro Recipe at Home
Hold on to your Mickey ears—this is BIG news!
We could all use a little magic in our lives right about now. And who’s better at spreading cheer than the big man, er, mouse, himself? That’s the mentality behind the Magic Moments section of the official Disney Parks blog. Earlier this week, they shared the recipe for one of the most famous Disney snacks: churros! You might be surprised to learn that there are things happening at Disney even though the parks are closed.
The recipe is simple and uses a bunch of pantry staples—so no need to run to the grocery store. Plus, it’s a great project to make with the family. Little hands will have fun rolling the fried churros in cinnamon sugar mix and dunking ’em in their favorite dipping sauce. Here’s what you need to get started.
How to make Disney churros
- 1 cup water
- 8 tablespoons butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1½ cups vegetable or canola oil
- ½ cup sugar
Step 1: Bring ingredients to a boil
First things first—you need to make the churro dough. Start by combining the water, butter, salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of the cinnamon in a saucepan over medium heat. Let the mixture melt and come to a rolling boil. Then, reduce the heat to low.
Step 2: Add the flour
Next, you’re going to add the flour. Stir the dough vigorously until the mix forms a ball. It’s going to look very thick, but that’s OK! Once the mixture is well-combined, remove it from the heat and let it rest for five to seven minutes. This resting step is essential, because if the dough is too hot, it could cause the eggs to scramble. Yuck!
Step 3: Finish the dough
To finish the dough, add the eggs one at a time, stirring well after each addition. The finished dough should be smooth and well-combined.
Step 4: Get ready to fry
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat until the temperature reaches 350˚ F. While the oil is heating, spoon the churro dough into a piping bag fitted with a large star tip. New to deep-frying? Make sure you avoid these mistakes.
Editor’s tip: No piping bag? No problem. You can simply use a plastic bag with one of the corner tips cut off. Just be aware that finished churros will have a cylindrical shape instead of those iconic grooves.
Step 5: Fry ’em up
Now comes the fun part: It’s time to fry the churros! The Disney Blog recipe suggests piping one-inch strips of dough over the saucepan, cutting with a knife, and then dropping the dough into the hot oil. Repeat until the pan is full but the bites still have room to fry. Cook the churros until they’re golden brown on all sides. Remove them from the oil with a slotted spoon, then place on paper towels to drain.
Editor’s tip: For a more authentic park experience, cut the dough into much longer strips. Just make sure they’ll fit in your pan!
Step 6: Finish with cinnamon sugar
Finally, you’ll want to add that signature sweet-and-spicy dust. Mix together the sugar and remaining cinnamon in a medium bowl. Add the still-warm churros and toss until coated. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce. We love this quick and easy chocolate sauce.
Bonus: How to host a Disney vacation at home
OK, we know it’s not nearly the same. But if your Disney vacation was canceled, or you’re just feeling nostalgic for the Magic Kingdom, here are some fun ways to recreate the magic at home:
- Ride the rides—virtually. YouTube is full of ride recordings from all of your favorite attractions. Put ’em up on the big screen and you’ll almost feel like you’re about to plummet down Splash Mountain. Bonus: There’s no need to stand in line!
- Set the mood with music. One of the reasons you feel so happy at Disney? You’re constantly surrounded by feel-good music! Put on a playlist with all of the essentials, including “It’s a Small World” and “When You Wish Upon a Star.”
- Make more of your favorite treats. Churros are just beginning. Whip up some other beloved park foods like turkey legs, Monte Cristo sandwiches, and, of course, Dole Whip.
- Put on your mouse ears! You might feel silly at first, but I guarantee your family will have a ton of fun. Feel free to get other loved ones involved over video chat, too.
- Cue up a classic movie. End the night with a beloved Disney movie. You can access almost all of ’em on Disney+.
For more Disney magic, check out how these Disney devotees are recreating their favorite rides at home!