The bottoms of this and the Buzzy Bumble Bee fleece costumes are gathered with elastic and the tops are tied together with a ribbon drawstring closing.
The bottoms of this and the Buzzy Bumble Bee fleece costumes are gathered with elastic and the tops are tied together with a ribbon drawstring closing. Basic directions for the two are similar but the collars and headpieces vary. If you want a plumper effect, stuff tissue paper or polyester fiberfill in the body area. However, most children prefer this less bulky version, which allows them to sit comfortably, run around and join in games without restriction.
You Will Need
1 3/4 yards orange fleece, for body
1 yard of 3/8-inch-wide green ribbon, for neck edge
1 yard 3/8-inch-wide elastic, for bottom edge
1/2 yard green fleece, for leaves
1 piece of brown felt 6 x 3 1/2 inches, for stem
1/4 yard black felt, for face
1/4 yard paper-backed fusible web, for face
What to Do
Cutting Directions for Pumpkin Body and Face:
1. Cut 2 rectangles each 27 x 25 inches from orange fabric.
2. Trace around patterns on green fleece and cut out 8 small leaves and 4 large leaves.
3. Fuse webbing to black felt. Draw triangles for eyes, nose, and a jack-o’-lantern mouth on paper side of fusible web. Cut out along drawn lines.
Making the Pumpkin Body:
4. Remove paper from black felt features and fuse them to the right side center of one of the orange rectangles for the front of the costume.
5. Refer to diagram. To make armholes, measure down 8 inches along each 25-inch edge of each orange rectangle and mark fabric. Then measure in 4 inches along the top edges of the rectangles and mark. Draw a line connecting the marks on each side, and cut along the lines.
6. Turn under a 1/2-inch hem along each armhole and press. Topstitch hems in place.
7. Stitch 2 same-size leaf pieces right sides together, with a 1/4-inch seam allowance, leaving the wide end of leaf open. Turn leaf to right side. Repeat this process with remaining leaf pieces. When you are finished, you will have 4 small leaves and 2 large leaves.
8. Baste one large leaf and 2 small leaves (large leaf in center) to top edge of body front. Repeat for back.
9. Turn under 1/2-inch casing along the top edge of front and back. Stitch in place. With right sides together — and leaves inside — stitch front to back at sides, with 1/2-inch seam allowance.
10. Insert green ribbon through the top casing for a drawstring closing.
11. Turn under 1/2-inch casing at bottom edge and stitch, leaving a 3-inch opening for inserting the elastic.
12. Cut elastic to 29 inches. Insert the elastic through the casing and overlap elastic ends by 1 inch. Stitch ends of elastic together.
13. Have your child step into the costume through the top. Gather the neck edge by pulling the ribbon and tie in place secure.
Making the Headpiece:
14. Cover headband with green fleece. Cut out 12 small leaves. Join and complete leaves as in the collar. Glue or sew 6 finished leaves to headband, forming a circle.
15. To create stem, begin at one short end of brown felt and roll up tightly. Glue remaining end in place. Insert a pipe cleaner into center of stem, trim even with stem.
16. Glue or stitch stem to center of leaves.