Ladybug Halloween Costume
Ladybugs are the one crawly creature that that most kids find fun, cute, and friendly. Any child will feel the
Ladybugs are the one crawly creature that that most kids find fun, cute, and friendly. Any child will feel the same wearing this simple, striking costume.
You Will Need
- 1 black turtleneck top
- 1 pair black tights
- 1 black headband
- 2 pieces (12 x 18 inches) stiff red felt
- 1 piece (12 x 18 inches) black felt
- 1 square (12 inches) stick-on black felt
- 2 hook-and-loop stick-on buttons
- 2 large chenille pipe cleaners
- 1 regular black pipe cleaner
What to Do
1.To make the ladybug’s wings, draw a semicircle on each piece of stiff red felt. You can attach a 12-inch piece of string to a pencil and, holding the string end midway on the 18-inch side of the felt, draw a semicircle by swinging the pencil in an arc. Curve the top of each wing as shown at right.
2. To make the yoke, fold the black felt piece in half lengthwise. At the center of the folded edge, cut a 5-inch, curved neck opening. Curve the outer edges of the yoke and cut the center open as shown in the photograph at right.
3. Attach the top of the wings to the back of the yoke with glue or needle and thread. Add hook-and-loop buttons to either side of the yoke opening. Sew or glue the large chenille pipe cleaners to the outside joints between the yoke and the wings: These are the bug’s extra legs.
4. Use a glass to trace 7 black dots on the stick-on black felt. Cut out the dots and stick them to the ladybug wings as shown at right.
5. Glue the center of the black pipe cleaner to the center of the headband. Reinforce it with a strip of black stick-on felt. Curl ends of pipe cleaner to complete the antennae.