Lion Halloween Costume
This furry lion costume feels soft and snuggly because it uses a thin, very soft type of fleece, available at
This furry lion costume feels soft and snuggly because it uses a thin, very soft type of fleece, available at most fabric stores.
You Will Need
- 1 yellow sleeper
- 1 yellow baby cap with ties
- 1 square (12 inches) yellow felt
- 1 square (12 inches) brown felt
- 1 square (12 inches) tan felt
- 1⁄2 yard (18 x 60 inches) lightweight brown-and-tan-patterned fleece
What to Do
1. To make the lion’s mane, cut the fleece into three pieces, each 6 x 60 inches. Layer the pieces on top of each other and stitch or staple them together down the center of the 60-inch length. On both sides of the three-layer strip, make cuts at 1⁄2-inch intervals almost to (but not through) the 60-inch stitch line (see photograph above right). Measure the neck of the sleeper and cut a piece of the three-layered, clipped mane to match. Attach this strip to the neck of the sleeper along the stitch line (see photograph at right). Use the remaining mane strips to trim the cap in three rows. Save an inch of the mane strips to finish off the end of the tail. Fold back and fluff the fleece strips.
2. Cut two outer ear pieces from the brown felt and two inner ear pieces from the tan felt, using the photograph bottom right as a guide. Glue inner ear pieces to outer ear pieces and attach to cap with a glue gun, staple, or needle and thread.
3. Make the tail by cutting a 2 x 12-inch strip of yellow felt. Fold the strip in half lengthwise and staple or stitch together. Invert and attach fleece tassel to one end (see photograph bottom left). Attach the other end to the back of the sleeper.