How to Screen Record on an iPhone
There's a simple (and quick!) way to take a screen recording on your iPhone. Here's how to do it.
Taking screenshots is so yesterday. With iPhone’s screen recording feature, you can save your favorite YouTube clips, create tutorials for your friends or even capture gaming sequences with just a few taps. Follow these easy steps to learn how to screen record on an iPhone and you’ll be a pro in no time. Once you’re up to speed, make sure you also know your iPhone’s other tricks, including how to hide and delete photos, recover deleted iPhone photos and reactivate your disabled iPhone.
Get Reader’s Digest’s Read Up newsletter for more tech, travel, humor, cleaning and fun facts all week long.
On This Page
How to turn on your iPhone’s screen recording feature
rd.com, Getty Images
All iPhones with iOS 11 or later have a built-in screen recording function. But before you learn how to screen record on an iPhone, check to see if the screen record button is in the Control Center; if it’s not, be sure to add it. Doing so will make it easier and faster to start recording.
- Open your phone’s Control Center menu by swiping down from the top-right corner (iPhone X or later) or swiping up (iPhone 8 or earlier).
- Look for the screen record button, which looks like a dot with a circle around it. If you see it, you can skip to the next section.
- If you don’t see it, tap Settings > Control Center > Customize Controls.
- Scroll down to the More Controls menu, and find the Screen Recording option.
- Tap the green “+” symbol to the left of the text. The feature will jump to the Included Controls menu above.
- You can remove the screen record button from your Control Center any time by returning to this screen and tapping the red “-” symbol.
FYI, the screen recording feature isn’t the only secret Apple insiders know that you don’t.
How to screen record on an iPhone
rd.com, Getty Images
After adding the screen record button to your phone’s Control Center menu, you are ready to start using it. The screen recording feature will allow you to make a video of every swipe, tap and sound on your screen for as long as the recording runs. It’s just one of the many iPhone hacks that will make your life easier—guaranteed.
- Swipe down (iPhone X or later) or up (iPhone 8 or earlier) to open the Control Center.
- Tap the Record button.
- A three-second countdown will appear, and then the clock in the upper-left-hand corner of the screen will turn red. If you have an older iPhone, a red bar will appear at the top of your screen instead.
- Tap the screen to close the Control Center. Now you are recording both the video and audio on your phone’s screen.
- When you’re ready to stop recording, tap the red clock or bar at the top of your screen and then tap Stop. Alternatively, you can swipe—or s/u in texting abbreviation terms—to open the Control Center and then tap the Record button again.
How to screen record with audio on an iPhone
rd.com, Getty Images
Bonus tip: iPhone’s screen recording function also allows you to record yourself talking while recording your screen at the same time. To turn your microphone on, follow these additional steps before pressing Record.
- Tap and hold the Record button.
- In the pop-up screen, tap on the microphone icon at the bottom, then tap Start Recording. You’ll see the countdown begin.
- Tap twice to exit the screen and close the Control Center.
- Now the microphone will turn on any time you begin recording. If you don’t want to use your microphone, you can turn it off by returning to this screen and pressing and holding the microphone icon.
How to open and edit your screen recording
rd.com, Getty Images
Want to watch and edit your new video? You can find it on your iPhone’s Camera Roll in the Photos app. From there, you can use iPhone’s editing tools to add filters, trim the beginning or end, and save the video as a new clip.
- Open the Camera Roll album in the Photos app, and tap the video.
- Tap Edit in the top right-hand corner of the screen.
- At the bottom of the screen, you’ll see a visual timeline of the video. To trim the beginning of the video, tap and drag the arrow beside the Play button to the right. It should turn yellow. Trim the end by tapping and dragging the other arrow to the left.
- Press the Play button to watch the new version. Keep adjusting the arrows until you’re satisfied.
- Change the filters with the same buttons you would use to edit a photo in the Photos app.
- When you are ready to save the edited video, tap Done > Save as New Clip.
Why is my screen recording option not showing?
You might not see a screen recording option on your iPhone because your device’s software is not up to date, or the feature has not yet been added to your Control Center. First, make sure that your iPhone is updated with iOS 11 or later by opening the Settings app and tapping General > Software Update. You will be able to view the iOS on your iPhone and update it if needed.
If the screen recording option still does not appear when you go to your Control Center, open the Settings app again and tap on Control Center > Customize Controls. From there, you will be able to add the screen recording feature to your Control Center by tapping the green “+” symbol to the left of the text.
Why can’t I start screen recording?
If the screen recording option is grayed out and you can’t select it, the feature could be restricted. You can remove the limitation by opening Settings and selecting Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions > Content Restrictions. From there, scroll down to the Game Center section and tap on Screen Recording > Allow.
Why isn’t my screen recording option working?
As we covered in the questions above, there are several reasons your screen recording option may not be working. The good news? With a few steps, you can likely troubleshoot the issue and find a fix.
Start by making sure your iPhone is updated with the latest iOS software, fully charged and has enough storage space available. Next, you should check to see if Low Power Mode or any restriction features are activated and disable them. Any one of these solutions should solve your problem.
How long can I screen record?
Fortunately, Apple does not put a time limit on screen recording. But you may be limited by your iPhone’s available storage space, and the video clip may not save if you run out of gigs on your device. It can depend on the remaining battery life on your phone too. Some iPhone users also report that their phones stop screen recording if their device overheats.
Now that you know how to screen record on an iPhone, take steps to protect your phone from cybercriminals and hackers with these iPhone security tips.