Oriental Steak Skewers
Before you pick up the takeout menu, try out these tasty beef skewers.
Prep time: 30 min
- 1 pound boneless beef sirloin tip roast
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger or 2 teaspoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 cup water
- 4 medium carrots, julienned
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans
- 1 large sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/4 teaspoons prepared horseradish
How to make it:
- Cut beef widthwise into 16 slices, 1/4 inch thick. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the soy sauce, sugar and ginger; add the beef. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 4 hours.
- In a saucepan, bring water and carrots to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 minutes. Add the beans and red pepper; cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Drain and immediately place vegetables in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- Drain and discard marinade from beef. Arrange three beans, one carrot strip and one pepper strip down the center of each beef slice; roll up. For each kabob use metal or soaked wooden skewers and thread two bundles on two parallel skewers.
- If grilling the kabobs, coat grill rack with nonstick cooking spray before starting the grill. Grill kabobs, covered, over medium heat or broil 4-6 inches from the heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until beef reaches desired doneness, turning once.
- In a bowl, combine the sour cream, mustard and horseradish. Serve with kabobs.